Mesa Journeys



Testing Center


  • Student Services Building
    Second Floor, I4-201
    P: 619-388-2718
    F: 619-388-2525
  • Monday - Thursday:
    8:00am - 6:00pm
    8:00am - 3:00pm
Frequently Asked Questions

Assessment Center
Frequently Asked Questions


1. Need more information about the online orientation?

Orientation is one of the steps in matriculating to Mesa and is designed to cover:

  • Information About Mesa College
  • Class Schedule and Catalog Rights
  • Student Services
  • Educational Objectives
  • Registration Process
  • Interpretation of Assessment Scores
  • Other student services department needs

 Online Orientation

Back to the top


2. what is assessment and its purpose?

Assessment is a process that is designed to assist student in determining which English and math courses that they should start with, specifically identifying milestones in those areas. Assessment also helps students in meeting course prerequisites.  Students may also meet course prerequisites based on other factors such as English and math course completion. 

Back to the top


3. What is the placement Assistant?

Students who have graduated from a U.S high school more than 10 years ago, completed the GED or HiSet exam are eligible for this assessment. The Placement Assistant will identify courses that students can enroll in using prior high school academic history. Students will report their high school GPA, and completed English and math courses while in high school.  Based on the information provided, students will receive and English and math placement milestone.

*The Placement Assistant will only allow one submission per student* 

Back to the top


4. What iF I don't know my High school information or can't track down my previous school records to complete the placement assistant?

Good news! You are not required to submit a transcript. Since it is self reported data, the Placement Assistant will use the information you provide (to the best of your knowledge)to give you placement into math and English classes. 

Back to the top


5. Who may be exempted from doing the placement assistant?

  • Students who have earned an Associate degree or higher from an accredited institution 
  • Students who have completed English and math courses
  • Students who have a qualifying schore on an SAT, ACT, or CAASPP/EAP. 
    All tests must have been completed within the past two years.
    Students should bring or send official copies of their test scores directly to the District Student Services Office. They can be reached at (619) 388-6922. 
New SAT - Evidence Based Reading & Writing 550**
New SAT - Math 570**
ACT - English 22
ACT - Math 23
CAASPP/EAP "Standard Exceeded" is exempt
CAASPP/EAP "Standard Met" - see below; Transcript required

To use any of the above standardized tests, please note that our District requires official documentation from the test provider, and the scores must be less than 2 years old. With most test providers, we will generally receive the scores within ~3 weeks. Only when scores are processed are exemptions final. Our routing information is:

College Board School Code: 004735
ACT School Code: 0337

CAASPP "Standard Met"Students with Conditionally-Ready status can obtain College-Ready status by taking an approved English and/or math course in high school and earning a grade of ‘C’ or better during their senior year.

High School English Courses: High School Math Courses:
  • Expository Reading & Writing Course (ERWC)
  • AP Literature/Composition
  • Weighted Honors English
  • IB English
  • Trigonometry
  • Math Analysis
  • Pre-Calculus or Calculus
  • AP Calculus AB or BC
  • AP Physics
  • AP Statistics

Students should bring or send official copies of their CAASPP test scores AND their High School transcripts directly to the District Student Services office to clear prerequisites. They can be reached at 619-388-6922 or at our District Office, located at 3375 Camino del Rio South, San Diego, CA 92108.

Standardized Tests for Credit: Please refer to District Evaluations for guidelines on submitting these transcripts for credit; the Mesa College Catalog contains information about subject and score requirements. Course credit may be available for nontraditional education through:

  • Advanced Placement (AP)
  • College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)
  • Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES)
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)

*Transcripts noting substandard grades or withdrawals in previous English or math classes at another College cannot be substituted for placement.

Back to the top


6. how can students clear prerequisites if they have completed courses at other institutions? 

Prerequisites are processed through the central SDCCD Records Office. You may contact the Prerequisite Evaluators at 619-388-6934, or email  Students may FAX copies of unofficial transcripts/grade reports from prior institutions to the San Diego Community College District Student Services Office at (619) 388-6946. Note: this is strictly for the purpose of clearing prerequisites before registration; official transcripts for graduation/transfer may still be required.

For more details about prerequisites, go to Student Web Services at and click on the key Resources link and select General Information.

Back to the top


7. Can students transfer assessment results from another institution instead of taking another assessment?

Students who have assessed at another California Community College within the last 2 years may provide a copy to the Assessment Office in person, by email as a PDF to, or by fax to (619) 388-2525. Please allow up to 5 business days for processing.

Those who choose to send their placement scores need to include a cover sheet with the following information:

  • Student's full name
  • 10-digit Mesa College I.D. number
  • Name of California Community College where test was taken
  • Date of assessment
  • Test Scores (points/percentages)
  • Placement Results (course eligibility)
  • Student contact information

We are unable to process your request without all information included.

Back to the top

8.  Does your office proctor exams for other colleges? make-up exams for classes? clep/cbest/gre, etc?

Mesa College does not offer proctoring services at this time. You can contact San Diego State University at 619-594-0968 or UCSD Extension at 858-534-9999 for local proctoring options. Professors are responsible for scheduling their own make-up testing arrangements.

Inquiries specific to certain standardized exams should refer to the website for those particular test providers. Mesa College does not offer standardized testing utilizing TABE, TEAS, CLEP, DANTES, GRE, CBEST, ACT, SAT, STAR, EPT, ELM, Advanced Placement, IB, TOEFL, GMAT, LSAT or any standardized exams used for any purpose other than initial course assessment within the California Community College system. 

Back to the top

9. can i test out of a class?

In some cases, yes. Challenge (or Advancement) Exams are available for a variety of courses and will allow you to skip certain levels of courses. For example, you may "challenge" CHEM 152 in order to take CHEM 200, or "challenge" ENGL 047A* in order to get into ENGL 101. For more information about Challenge Exams, email

Back to the top


10. can i test out of a class i have attempted but have not yet successfully completed?

Students are generally allowed to attempt a course three (3) times. After 3 attempts - including withdrawals - students may need to seek Counseling and/or Dean's approval before continuing their coursework in that discipline.

If you have attempted a course and received a "D", "F", "incomplete", or otherwise have not obtained a "C" grade or higher, you are not eligible to take either the Placement Assistant or Challenge Exams. Once an earned grade is recorded on a students record, the only way to advance is to retake the course with a passing grade. The passing grade may be obtained via coursework within our District, or with transcripts showing successfully completed coursework from another college.

Back to the top


11. What do I need to bring to do the placement Assistant?

  • Photo ID is mandatory for all assessment services or Challenge Exams.
  • 10-digit Mesa College I.D. numbers are required for any inquiries involving student records.
  • High school transcripts or high school equivalency information.