Course Repetition and Renewal

Course Repetition and Renewal

There are several reasons why you may need to repeat a course during your time at Mesa College. Learn more about the appropriate conditions for course repetition or academic renewal without course repetition.

Course Repetition Policy

  • No course in which a "C" or better grade has been earned may be repeated, unless you meet the following exception criteria:
    • You have a legally mandated training requirement
    • You are a disabled student receiving a disability related accommodation
    • You are experiencing extenuating circumstances beyond your control (with appropriate documentation)
    • There's been a significant lapse of time since the course was taken and your academic department requires that a course be completed within a specified number of years
  • You will not be allowed more than four enrollments in similar active participatory courses in Exercise Science and Visual and Performing Arts, regardless of the grade received.
  • Each course in which an unsatisfactory grade ("D," "F," or "NP") has been earned may be repeated twice without a petition. The course being repeated must be the same as the original course, not its equivalent. Only the newly-earned units and grades will be used in computing the grade point average.
  • You will not be allowed more than three enrollments in any course, regardless of the grade you received.

Academic Renewal

If you are a student with substandard academic performance (GPA below 2.0) that is not reflective of your present demonstrated ability, you may petition to have a maximum of 30 units or one full semester (whichever is greater), disregarded in calculating your grade point average. To be eligible for academic renewal without course repetition, you must:

  • Have transcripts from all institutions attended officially on file.
  • Successfully complete, in an accredited college or university, 15 units with a grade point average of at least 2.0 subsequent to the work to be disregarded. All courses taken during the semester/session in which you reach or exceed the 15-unit minimum will be used in computing the 2.0 grade point average.
  • Have one year elapsed since the coursework to be disregarded was completed.

Apply for Academic Renewal

Additional Academic Renewal Information

  • For purposes of academic renewal for summer session work, a summer session will be defined as all courses which commence after the termination of the Spring semester and end prior to the beginning of the Fall semester. Intersession work will be included in the Spring semester. Short-term or carry-over classes will be considered to be part of the semester or session in which credit is awarded or a grade is posted to your permanent academic record.
  • If grade alleviation has already been applied to coursework included in the semester to be disregarded, the course will not be eligible for academic renewal without repetition and will remain on the academic record.
  • Academic renewal without course repetition may be applied to substandard course(s)/semester(s) from another accredited institution.
  • The permanent academic record will be annotated in such a manner that the record of all work remains legible, ensuring a true and complete academic record.
  • Recalculation of the grade point average will be used toward qualification for graduation with honors.
  • Academic standing for the semester/session(s) will not be adjusted.
  • Once the petition is approved, the action is not reversible.
  • Once an associate degree has been posted to your academic record, academic renewal without course repetition may only be applied to classes with an evaluative symbol of "F."