Veteran, Active Duty Military, or Dependent Student

I'm a Veteran, Active Duty Military, or Dependent Student

Take advantage of your military benefits as you earn your degree or certification at Mesa! Follow the applicable steps below and see how Mesa College and the Admissions, Veterans & Records Office can support you as you embark on an exciting academic career with us.

1. Submit an Online Application

Our online application is free and open year-round! Mesa uses CCCApply to provide you with a quick and easy way to apply to college.

Apply today

Need Help?
CCCApply Application Instructions

2. Create and Login to Your mySDCCD Portal

You will use your mySDCCD Portal throughout your time as a Mesa College student. Set up your account now to ensure that you'll be able to access registration dates, register for classes, and view important district information.

Create your account
*Note, you will need to wait for your application to process before creating a MySDCCD account. Applications can take up to 48 hours to process. If it's been more than 48 hours, submit a helpdesk ticket.

3. Clear Your Prerequisites

For prerequisite clearance for equivalent courses that you have successfully completed at other accredited colleges, email your unofficial transcripts along with your name, student ID number, and the class you want to clear to or bring your unofficial transcripts to SD Mesa Counseling on the third floor of the SD Mesa Student Services Building (I-400).

Learn how to clear prerequisites

4. Submit Transcripts

Get credit for the courses you've already completed by sending official college and/or military transcripts to All transcripts should be on file and evaluated prior to the start of registration, or you will not be certified for GI Bill benefits on your second semester.

Learn more about Mesa's transcript services

To learn more about how to receive credit for military service/training or earn credit by taking examinations at Mesa, see "Academic Credit for Nontraditional Education" under the "Academic Information and Regulations" section in the College Catalog.

Review the Veterans Handbook for details

5. Apply For Financial Aid

Get help paying for college tuition and fees. Students who are eligible to receive veterans' education benefits such as the Post 9/11 GI Bill may also apply for federal financial aid by completing the FAFSA. Visit the Financial Aid webpage to learn more about how you can finance your education at Mesa.

Discover your options, the cost of attendance, and tuition assistance

6. Take Your Math and English Placement

If you graduated from a US high school within the last 10 years you will receive your placement levels which we call milestones, based on the information you provide in your application (CCCApply).


If you graduated more than 10 years ago, completed the GED, or HiSet exam, you are eligible to use the Placement Assistant to identify the courses you should enroll in.

Take the Placement Assistant

7. Meet with a Counselor to Create an Education Plan

All military-affiliated students using VA Educational Benefits must have an Education Plan on file with the Veterans Service Office before their classes can be certified. Military-Affiliated students using Tuition Assistance must also have an Education Plan on file for the TA approval process. Schedule an appointment to meet with a counselor and be sure to mention that you are a military-affiliated student (please specify the benefit you are using). You should always notify your counselor when changing your program or degree plan to make sure that the correct Education Plan is on file.

Learn more about Mesa's Counseling Services and make an appointment

8. Get Priority Registration

Confirm your residency status to be eligible for priority registration. You will need to provide a DD-214 or your Military ID if you are Active Duty to the residency staff at You will need to provide the residency staff with a DD-214 or your Military ID if you are Active Duty, in the Reserves, or in the National Guard.

Learn more about residency requirements and the Residency Office

9. Register for Classes

Register and pay [unless you are utilizing CH 33 (Post 9/11) or CH 31 (V&RE)] for classes through your SDCCD portal account. Access your portal to stay on top of important admissions dates and deadlines.

Learn how to register for classes

Setting Up Your Student Email

Once you register for classes, wait 24 hours, and then you can set up your student email. All official communication from the college will be sent to this email address.

Learn how to setup your student email

10. Apply For Military Benefits

  • For those utilizing VA Educational Benefits, you will need to apply to activate your benefit through the VA Website. Once you are approved, you should receive your Certification of Eligibility (COE) within 30-45 days.
  • For those utilizing CalVet, you will need to apply for the benefit through the San Diego County Veterans Affairs Operations Center. Located at 5055 Ruffin Rd, San Diego, CA 92123. They can be reached at 858-694-3222 Monday – Friday 8 am to 5 pm.
  • For our Active Duty students looking to use Tuition Assistance, please review the steps under Educational Benefits.

11. Submit Your Approval Paperwork to Mesa

VA Educational Benefits

For students using VA Educational Benefits, please submit your Certificate of Eligibility to the Veterans & Records Department by bringing it to I4-102 or by submitting it to and include your name and Student ID Number in the body of the email.


For students using CalVet. Once you receive your Approval Letter, please submit to the Financial Aid Department.

Tuition Assistance

For students using Tuition Assistance. Once you receive your TA Voucher, please submit to the Student Accounting Department.

12. Verify Your Enrollment Each Month

If you are receiving benefits from Chapter 30 - Montgomery GI Bill, Chapter 35 - Dependents, or Chapter 1606/1607 you will need to verify your enrollment with Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (W.A.V.E) at the end of each month. Use the following link or call them at 1-877-823-2378.

Verify your enrollment

If you are receiving benefits from Chapter 33 – Post 9/11 GI Bill you will need to verify your enrollment at the end of each month with the VA if you are receiving the Monthly Housing Allowance and/or Kicker Payments via text message, email, or online at

Verify Enrollment with the VA

13. Prepare for Your First Day

Get ready to succeed at Mesa! Purchase your class textbooks and parking permit (if applicable), and pick up your ID card from the Admissions Office. Make sure you notify the Veterans Services Office of any registration changes (add a course, drop a course, switch sections etc.) as failure to do so may result in charges or fees owed to the VA.

14. Find Your Community of Support

Learn more about the services and events designed for all of our military-affiliated students, including the Veterans Success Center. Stay up to date on events, programs, and services taking place on campus and specifically for our military-affiliated students by following our Veterans Services Office on Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook.

Utilize the Your Mesa Journey tool to find additional support that is tailored to your specific background and needs.

Access student support from the Veterans Center

All support services